To provide a touch of comfort for hay fever sufferers as we navigate our way through COVID 19, Allergy UK has outlined the important differences between the virus symptoms and hay fever symptoms.
- Symptoms of COVID 19 that are not symptoms of hay fever:
- Highly contagious (hay fever is not contagious)
- Fever with a body temperature, anything above 37.8 degrees centigrade (despite the name, hay fever does not create a rise in body temperature)
- Symptoms of hay fever that are not symptoms of COVID 19:
- Watery, itchy eyes
- Itchy, runny nose
- The key symptom that COVID 19 and hay fever both induce:
- Coughing and wheezing are lesser known symptom of hay fever and are also one of the key COVID 19 symptoms
- The itchy throat associated with hay fever can lead to a cough or make you tight-chested, which is exacerbated if you get pollen-induced asthma. Remember, if you have trouble breathing you must seek urgent medical advice
- In COVID 19 a common symptom is a new cough which is prolonged and does not go away. It can also cause breathing difficulties and shortness of breath which can be a medical emergency
- If in doubt about these, or any other symptoms, always take recommended COVID 19 precautions and seek medical advice
Practising good hygiene is always essential, but never more so than these days. Use hand hot water and soap to wash your hands regularly, each time for at least 60 seconds. With Kleenex®, you can be ready for every situation, whether it is a cough or sneeze, you can catch it and bin it, helping to reduce the spread of germs.
All content and advice is provided on behalf of Allergy UK in partnership with Kleenex®